Kinyon Digital Library

Civil War Rosters
County/Local Histories
Census Transcriptions
Local Maps and More

Home  ||  What's New?  ||  Notes  ||  Census Data  ||  Data By State  ||  Military Records  ||  Links  ||  Items For Sale  ||  Poetry

Custom Search

Kinyon Digital Library

Copyright 1999-2013,
 all rights reserved.

History of Cedar
County, Iowa, 1878.

  
 

Iowa Index || - || Previous Page || Table of Contents  || Next Page


 

The Northwest Territory.

Geographical Position.

When the Northwestern Territory was ceded to the United States by Virginia in 1784, it embraced only the territory lying between the Ohio and the Mississippi Rivers, and north to the northern limits of the United States.  It coincided with the area now embraced in the states of Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and that portion of Minnesota lying on the east side of the Mississippi River.  The United States itself at that period extended no farther west than the Mississippi River; but by the purchase of Louisiana in 1803, the western boundary of the United States was extended to the Rocky Mountains and the Northern Pacific Ocean.  The new territory thus added to the National domain, and subsequently opened to settlement, has been called the "New Northwest," in contradistinction from the old "Northwestern Territory."

In comparison with the old Northwest this is a territory of vast magnitude.  It includes an area of 1,887,850 square miles; being greater in extent than the united areas of all the Middle and Southern States, including Texas.  Out of this magnificent territory have been erected eleven sovereign States and eight Territories, with an aggregate population, at the present time, of 13, 000,000 inhabitants, or nearly one third of the entire population of the United States.

Its lakes are fresh-water seas, and the larger rivers of the continent flow for a thousand miles through its rich alluvial valleys and far-stretching prairies, more acres of which are arable and productive of the highest percentage of the cereals than of any other area of like extent on the globe.

For the last twenty years the increase of population in the Northwest has been about as three to one in any other portion of the United States.

Early explorations.

In the year 1541, DeSoto first saw the Great West in the New World.  He, however, penetrated no farther north than the 35th parallel of latitude.  The expedition resulted in his death and that of more than half his army, the remainder of whom found their way to Cuba, thence to Spain, in a famished and demoralized condition.  DeSoto founded no settlements, produced no results, and left no traces, unless it were that he awakened the hostility of the red man against the white man, and disheartened such as might desire to follow up the career of discovery for better purposes.  The French nation were eager and ready to seize upon any news from this extensive domain, and were the first to profit by DeSoto's defeat.  Yet it was more than a century before any adventurer took advantage of these discoveries.

In 1616, four years before the pilgrims "moored their bark on the wild New England shore,"  Le Caron, a French Franciscan, had penetrated through the Iroquois and Wyandots (Hurons) to the streams which run into Lake Huron; and in 1634, two Jesuit missionaries founded the first mission among the lake tribes.  It was just one hundred years from the discovery of the Mississippi by DeSoto (1541) until the Canadian envoys met the savage nations of the Northwest at the Falls of St. Mary, below the outlet of Lake Superior.  This visit led to no permanent result; yet it was not until 1659 that any of the adventurous fur traders attempted to spend a Winter in the frozen wilds about the great lakes, nor was it until 1660 that a station was established upon their borders by Mesnard, who perished in the woods a few months after.  In 1665, Claude Allouez built the earliest lasting habitation of the white man among the Indians of the Nortyhwest.  In 1668, Claude Dablon and James Marquette founded the mission of Sault Ste. Marie at the Falls of St. Mary, and two years afterward, Nicholas Perrot, as agent for M. Talon, Governor General of Canada, explored Lake Illinois (Michigan) as far south as the present City of Chicago, and invited the Indian nations to meet him at a grand council at Sault Ste. Marie the following Spring, where they were taken under the protection of the king, and formal possession was taken of the Northwest.  This same year Marquette established a mission at Point St. Ignatius, where was founded the old town of Michillimackinac.

During M. Talon's explorations and Marquette's residence at St. Ignatius, they learned of a great river away to the west, and fancied -as all the others did then- that upon its fertile banks whole tribes of God's children resided, to whom the sound of the Gospel had never come.  Filled with a wish to go and preach to them, and in compliance with a request of M. Talon, who earnestly desired to extend the domain of his king, and to ascertain whether the river flowed into the Gulf of Mexico or the Pacific Ocean, Marquette with Joliet, as commander of the expedition, prepared for the undertaking.

On the 13th of May, 1673, the explorers, accompanied by five assistant French Canadians, set out from Mackinaw on their daring voyage of discovery.  The Indians, who gathered to witness their departure, were astonished at the boldness of the undertaking, and endeavored to dissuade them from their purpose by representing the tribes on the Mississippi as exceedingly savage and cruel, and the river itself as full of all sorts of frightful monsters ready to swallow them and their canoes together. But, nothing daunted by these terrific descriptions, Marquette told them he was willing not only to encounter all the perils of the unknown region they were about to explore, but to lay down his life in a cause in which the salvation of souls was involved; and having prayed together they separated.  Coasting along the northern shore of Lake Michigan, the adventurers entered Green Bay, and passed thence up the Fox River and Lake Winnebago to a village of the Miamis and Kickapoos.  Here Marquette was delighted to find a beautiful cross planted in the middle of the town ornamented with white skins, red girdles and bows and arrows, which these good people had offered to the Great Manitou, or God, to thank him for the pity he had bestowed on them during the Winter in giving them an abundant "chase."  This was the farthest outpost to which Dablon and Allouez had extended their missionary labors the year previous.  Here Marquette drank mineral waters and was instructed in the secret of a root which cures the bite of the venomous rattlesnake.  He assembled the chiefs and old men of the village, and, pointing to Joliet, said: "My friend is an envoy of France, to discover new countries, and I am an ambassador from God to enlighten them with the truths of the Gospel.  "Two Miami guides were here furnished to conduct them to the Wisconsin River, and they set out from the Indian village on the 10th of June, amidst a great crowd of natives who had assembled to witness their departure into a region where no white man had ever yet ventured.  The guides, having conducted them across the portage, returned.  The explorers launched their canoes upon the Wisconsin, which they descended to the Mississippi and proceeded down its unknown waters.  What emotions must have swelled their breasts as they struck out into the broadening current and became conscious that they were now upon the bosom of the Father of Waters.  The mystery was about to be lifted from the long-sought river.  The scenery in that locality is beautiful, and on that delightful seventeenth of June must have been clad in all its primeval loveliness as it had been adorned by the hand of Nature.  Drifting rapidly, it is said that the bold bluffs on either hand "reminded them of the castled shores of their own beautiful rivers of France."  By-and-by, as they drifted along, great herds of buffalo appeared on the banks.  On going to the heads of the valley they could see a country of the greatest beauty and fertility, apparently destitute of inhabitants yet presenting the appearance of extensive manors, under the fastidious cultivation of lordly proprietors.

One June 25, they went ashore and found some fresh traces of men upon the sand, and a path which led to the prairie.  The men remained in the boat, and Marquette and Joliet followed the path till they discovered a village on the banks of a river, and two other villages on a hill, within a half league of the first, inhabited by Indians.  They were received most hospitably by these natives, who had never before seen a white person.  After remaining a few days they re-embarked and descended the river to about latitude 33, where they found a village of the Arkansas, and being satisfied that the river flowed into the Gulf of Mexico, turned their course up the river, and ascending the stream to the mouth of the Illinois, rowed up that stream to its source, and procured guides from that point to the lakes.  "Nowhere on this journey,"  says Marquette,  "did we see such grounds, meadows, woods, stags, buffaloes, deer, wildcats, bustards, swans, ducks, parroquets, and even beavers, as on the Illinois River."   The party, without loss or injury, reached Green Bay in September, and reported their discovery - one of the most important of the age, but of which no record was preserved save Marquette's, Joliet losing his by the upsetting of his canoe on his way to Quebec.  Afterward Marquette returned to the Illinois Indians by their request, and ministered to them until 1675.  On the 18th of May, in that year, as he was passing the mouth of a stream - going with his boatmen up Lake Michigan - he asked to land at it's mouth and celebrate Mass.  Leaving his men with the canoe, he retired a short distance and began his devotions.  As much time passed and he did not return, his men went in search of him, and found him upon his knees, dead.  He had peacefully passed away while at prayer.  He was buried at this spot.  Charlevoix, who visited the place fifty years after, found the waters had retreated from the grave, leaving the beloved missionary to repose in peace.  the river has since been called Marquette.

While Marquette and his companions were pursuing their labors in the West, two men, differing widely from him and each other, were preparing to follow in his footsteps and perfect the discoveries so well begun by him.  These were Robert de LaSalle and Louis Hennepin.

After LaSalle's return from the discovery of the Ohio River (see the narrative else where), he established himself again among the French trading posts in Canada.  Here he mused long upon the pet project of those ages - a short way to China and the East, and was busily planning an expedition up the great lakes, and so across the continent to the Pacific, when Marquette returned from the Mississippi.  At once the vigorous mind of LaSalle received from his and his companions' stories the idea that by following the Great River northward, or by turning up some of the numerous western tributaries, the object could easily be gained.  He applied to Frontenac, Governor General of Canada, and laid before him the plan, dim but gigantic.  Frontenac entered warmly into his plans and saw that LaSalle's idea to connect the great lakes by a chain of forts with the Gulf of Mexico would bind the country so wonderfully together, give unmeasured power to France, and glory to himself, under whose administration he earnestly hoped all would be realized.

LaSalle now repaired to France, laid his plans before the King, who warmly approved of them, and made him a Chevalier.  He also received from all the noblemen the warmest wished for his success.  The Chevalier returned to Canada, and busily entered upon his work.  He at once rebuilt Fort Frontenac and constructed the first ship to sail on these fresh-water seas.  On the 7th of August, 1679, having been joined by Hennepin, he began his voyage in the Griffin up Lake Erie.  He passed over this lake, through the straits beyond, up Lake St. Clair and into Huron.  In this lake they encountered heavy storms.  they were sometime at Michillimackinac, where LaSalle founded a fort, and passed on to Green Bay, the "Baie des Puans" of the French, where he found a large quantity of furs collected for him.  He loaded the Griffin with these, and placing her under the care of a pilot and fourteen sailors, started her on her return voyage.  The vessel was never afterward heard of.  He remained about these parts until early in the Winter, when, hearing nothing from the Griffin, he collected all the men - thirty working men and three monks - and started again upon his great undertaking.

By a short portage they passed to the Illinois or Kankakee, called by the Indians, "Theakeke,"  wolf, because of the tribes of Indians called by that name, commonly known as the Mahingans, dwelling there.  The French pronounced it Kiakiki, which became corrupted to kankakee.  "Falling down the said river by easy journeys, the better to observe the country,"  about the last of December they reached a village of the Illinois Indians, containing some five hundred cabins, but at that moment no inhabitants.  The Seur de LaSalle being in want of some breadstuffs, took advantage of the absence of the Indians to help himself to a sufficiency of maize, large quantities of which he found concealed in holes under the wigwams.  This village was situated near the present village of Utica in La Salle County, Illinois.  The corn being securely stored, the voyagers again betook themselves to the stream, and toward evening, on the 4th day of January, 1680, they came into a lake which must have  been the lake of Peoria.  this was  called by the Indians Pim-i-te-wi, that is a place where there are many fat beasts.  Here the natives were  met with in large numbers, but they were gentle and kind, and having spent some time with them, LaSalle determined to erect another fort in that place, for he had heard rumors that some of the adjoining tribes were trying to disturb the good feeling which existed, and some of his men were disposed to complain, owing to the hardships and perils or the travel.  He called this fort "Crevecoeur"  (broken-heart) , a name expressive of the very natural sorrow and anxiety which the pretty certain loss of his ship, Griffin, and his consequent impoverishment, the danger of hostility on the part of the Indians, and of mutiny among his own men, might well cause him.  His fears were not entirely groundless.  At one time poison was placed in his food, but fortunately was discovered.

While building this fort, the Winter wore away, the prairies began to look green, and LaSalle, despairing of any reinforcements, concluded to return to Canada, raise new means and new men, and embark anew in the enterprise.  For this purpose he made Hennepin the leader of a party to explore the head waters of the Mississippi, and he set out on his journey.  This journey was accomplished with the aid of a few persons, and was successfully made, though over an almost unknown route, and in a bad season of the year.  He safely reached Canada, and set out again for the object of his search.

Hennepin and his party left Fort Crevecoeur on the last of February, 1680.  When LaSalle reached this place on his return expedition, he found the fort entirely deserted, and he was obliged to return again to Canada.  He embarked the third time, and succeeded.  Seven days after leaving the fort, Hennepin reached the Mississippi, and paddling up the icy stream as best he could, reached no higher than the Wisconsin River by the 11th of April.  Here he and his followers were taken prisoners by a band of Northern Indians, who treated them with great kindness.  Hennepin's comrades were Anthony Auguel and Michael Ako.  On this voyage they found several beautiful lakes, and "saw some charming prairies."  Their captors were the Isaute or Sauteurs, Chippewas, a tribe of the Sioux nation, who took them up the river until about the first of May, when they reached some falls, which Hennepin christened Falls of St. Anthony in honor of his patron saint.  Here they took the land, and traveling nearly two hundred miles to the northwest, brought them to their villages.  Here they were kept about three months, were treated kindly by their captors, and at the end of that time, were met by a band of Frenchmen, headed by one Seur de Luth, who, in pursuit of trade and game, had penetrated thus far by the route of Lake Superior;  and with these fellow-countrymen Hennepin and his companions were allowed to return to the borders of civilized life in November, 1680, just after LaSalle had returned to the wilderness on his second trip.  Hennepin soon after went to France, where he published an account of his adventures.

The Mississippi was first discovered by De Soto in April, 1541, in his vain endeavor to find gold and precious gems.  In the following Spring, De Soto, weary with hope long deferred, and worn out with his wanderings, he fell a victim to disease, and on the 21st of May died.  His followers, reduced by fatigue and disease to less than three hundred men, wandered about the country nearly a year, in the vain endeavor to rescue themselves by land, and finally constructed seven small vessels, called brigantines, in which they embarked, and descending the river, supposing it would lead them to the sea, in July they came to the sea (Gulf of Mexico), and by September reached the Island of Cuba.

They were the first to see the great outlet of the Mississippi; but, being so weary and discouraged, made no attempt to claim the country, and hardly had an intelligent idea of what they had passed through.

To LaSalle, the intrepid explorer, belongs the honor of giving the first account of the mouths of the river.  His great desire was to possess this entire country for his king, and in January, 1682, he and his band of explorers left the shores of Lake Michigan on their third attempt, crossed the portage, passed down the Illinois River, and on the 6th of February, reached the banks of the Mississippi.

On the 13th they commenced their downward course, which they pursued with but one interruption, until upon the 6th of March they discovered the three great passages by which the river discharges its waters into the gulf.  LaSalle thus narrates the event:

"We landed on the bank of the most western channel, about three leagues (nine miles) from its mouth.  On the seventh, M. de LaSalle went to reconnoiter the shores of the neighboring sea, and M. de Tonti meanwhile examined the great middle channel.  They found the main outlets beautiful, large and deep.  On the 8th we reascended the river, a little above its confluence with the sea, to find a dry place beyond the reach of inundations.  The elevation fo the North Pole was here about twenty-seven degrees.  Here we prepared a column and a cross, and to the column were affixed the arms of France with this inscription:

Louis Le Grand, Roi De France et de Navarre, regne;  Le neuvieme Avril, 1682.

The whole party, under arms, chanted the Te Deum, and then, after a salute and cries of "Vive le Roi," the column was erected by M. de LaSalle, who standing near it, proclaimed in a loud voice the authority of the King of France.  LaSalle returned and laid the foundations of the Mississippi settlements in Illinois, thence he proceeded to France, where another expedition was fitted out, of which he was commander, and in two succeeding voyages failed to find the outlet of the river by sailing along the shore of the gulf.  On his third voyage he was killed, through the treachery of his followers, and the object of his expeditions was not accomplished until 1699, when D'Iberville, under the authority of the crown, discovered, on the second of March, by way of the sea, the mouth of the "Hidden River."  This majestic stream was called by the natives "Malbouchia," and by the Spaniards, "la Palissade," from the great number of trees about its mouth.  After traversing the several outlets, and satisfying himself as to its certainty, he erected a fort near its western outlet, and returned to France.

An avenue of trade was now opened out which was fully improved.  In 1718, New Orleans was laid out and settled by some European colonists.  In 1762, the colony was made over to Spain, to be regained by France under the consulate of Napoleon.  In 1803, it was purchased by the United States for the sum of fifteen million dollars, and the territory of Louisiana and commerce of the Mississippi River came under the charge of the United States.  Although LaSalle's labors ended in defeat and death, he had not worked and suffered in vain.  He had thrown open to France and world an immense and most valuable country;  had established several ports, and laid the foundations of more than one settlement there.  "Peoria, Kaskaskia and Cahokia, are to this day monuments of LaSalle's labors;  for, though he had founded neither of them (unless Peoria, which was built nearly upon the site of Fort Crevecoeur,) it was by those whom he led into the West that these places were peopled and civilized.  He was if not the discoverer, the first settler of the Mississippi Valley, and as such deserves to be known and honored."

The French early improved the opening made for them.  Before the year 1698, the Rev. Father Gravier began a mission among the Illinois, and founded Kaskaskia.  For some time this was merely a missionary station, where none but natives resided, it being one of three such villages, the other two being Cahokia and Peoria.  What is known of these missions is learned from a letter written by Father Gabriel Marest, date "Aux Cascaskias, autrement dit de l'Immaculate Conception de la Sainte Vierge, le 9 Novembre, 1712."  Soon after the founding of Kaskaskia, the missionary, Pinet, gathered a flock at Cahokia, while Peoria arose near the ruins of Fort Crevecoeur.  This must have been about the year 1700.  The post at Vincennes on the Oubache river, (pronounced Wa-ba, meaning summer cloud moving swiftly) was established in 1702, according to the best authorities.  (Note:  There is considerable dispute about this date, some asserting it was founded as late as 1742.  When the new court house at Vincennes was erected, all authorities on the subject were carefully examined, and 1702 fixed upon as the correct date.  It was accordingly engraved on the corner-stone of the court house.)  It is altogether probably that on LaSalle's last trip he established the stations at Kaskaskia and Cahokia.  In July, 1701, the foundations of Fort Ponchartrain were laid by De la Motte Cadillac on the Detroit River.  These stations, with those established further north, were the earliest attempts to occupy the Northwest Territory.  At the same time efforts were being made to occupy the Southwest, which finally culminated in the settlement and founding of the City of New Orleans by a colony from England in 1718.  This was mainly accomplished through the efforts of the famous Mississippi Company, established by the notorious John Law, who so quickly arose into prominence in France, and who with his scheme so quickly and so ignominiously passed away.

From the time of the founding of these stations for fifty years the French nation were engrossed with the settlement of the lower Mississippi, and the was with the Chicasaws, who had, in revenge for repeated injuries, cut off the entire colony at Natchez.  Although the company did little for Louisiana, as the entire West was then called, yet it opened the trade through the Mississippi River, and started the raising of grains indigenous to that climate.  Until the year 1750, but little is known of the settlements in the Northwest, as it was not until this time that the attention of the English was called to the occupation of this portion of the New World, which they then supposed they owned.  Vivier, a missionary among the Illinois, writing from "Aux Illinois," six leagues from Fort Chartres, June 8, 1750, says:  "We have her whites, negroes and Indians, to say nothing of cross-breeds.  There are five French villages, and three villages of the natives, within a space of twenty-one leagues situated between the Mississippi and another river called the Karkadaid (Kaskaskias).  In the five French villages are, perhaps, eleven hundred whites, three hundred blacks and some sixty red slaves or savages.  The three Illinois towns do not contain more than eight hundred souls all told.  Most of the French till the soil;  they raise wheat, cattle, pigs and horses, and live like princes.  Three times as much is produced as can be consumed;  and great quantities of grain and flour are sent to New Orleans."  This city was now the seaport town of the Northwest, and save in the extreme northern part, where only furs and copper ore were found, almost all the products of the country found their way to France by the mouth of the Father of Waters.  In another letter, dated November 7, 1750, this same priest says:  "For fifteen leagues above the mouth of the Mississippi one sees no dwellings, the ground being too low to be habitable.  Thence to New Orleans, the lands are only partially occupied.  New Orleans contains black, white and red, not more, I think, than twelve hundred persons.  To this point come all lumber, bricks, salt-beef, tallow, tar, skins and bear's grease;  and above all, pork and flour from the Illinois.  These things create some commerce, as forty vessels and more have come hither this year.  Above New Orleans, plantations are again met with;  the most considerable is a colony of Germans, some ten leagues up the river.  At Point Coupee, thirty-five leagues above the German settlement, is a fort.  Along her, within five or six leagues, are not less than sixty habitations.  Fifty leagues farther up is the Natchez post, where we have a garrison, who are kept prisoners through fear of the Chickasaws.  Here and at Point Coupee, they raise excellent tobacco.  Another hundred leagues brings us to the Arkansas, where we have also a fort and a garrison for the benefit of the river traders.  *  *  *  From the Arkansas to the Illinois, nearly five hundred leagues, there is not a settlement.  There should be, however, a fort at the Oubache (Ohio), the only path by which the English can reach the Mississippi.  In the Illinois country are numberless mines, but no one to work them as they deserve."  Father Marest, writing from the post at Vincennes in 1812, makes the same observation.  Vivier also says:  "Some individuals dig lead near the surface and supply the Indians and Canada.  Two Spaniards now here, who claim to be adepts, say that our mines are like those of Mexico, and that if we would dig deeper, we should find silver under the lead;  and at any rate the lead is excellent.  There is also in this country, beyond doubt, copper ore, as from time to time large pieces are found in the streams."

At the close of the 1750, the French occupied, in addition to the lower Mississippi posts and those in Illinois, one at Du Quesne, one at the Maumee in the country of the Miamis, and one at Sandusky in what may be termed the Ohio Valley.  In the northern part of the Northwest they had stations at St. Joseph's on the St. Joseph's of Lake Michigan, at Fort Ponchartrain (Detroit), at Michillimackanac or Massillimacanac, Fox River of Green Bay, and at Sault Ste. Marie.  The fondest dreams of LaSalle were now fully realized.  The French alone were possessors of this vast realm, basing their claim on discovery and settlement.  Another nation, however, was now turning its attention to this extensive country, and hearing of its wealth, began to lay plans for occupying it and for securing the great profits arising therefrom.

The French, however, had another claim to this country, namely, the Discovery of the Ohio.

 

 

Iowa Index || - || Previous Page || Table of Contents || Next Page

  

Home  ||  What's New?  ||  Notes  ||  Census Data  ||  Data By State  ||  Military Records  ||  Links  ||  Items For Sale  ||  Poetry

Site Statistics By

since 17 December 1999.

Copyright 1999-2013
Kinyon Digital Library,
All Rights Reserved.